Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Week #7--Sign Inventory

Antipsalm

                        by Novica Tadic

Disfigure me, Lord. Take pity on me.
Cover me with bumps. Reward me with boils.
In the source of tears open a spring of pus mixed with blood.
Twist my mouth upsidedown. Give me a hump. Make me
       crooked.
Let moles burrow through my flesh. Let blood
circle my body. Let it be thus.
May all that breathes steal breath from me,
all that drinks quench its thirst in my cup.
Turn all vermin upon me.
Let my enemies gather around me
and rejoice, honoring You.

Twelve lines. (significant Biblical number)
Imperative voice.
Biblical style of psalm, reminiscent of Psalm 23, but sounds more like a curse and less like a praise psalm, but for the last two words.
Theme of punishment counters salvation theme of Psalm 23, justifying title.
Three lines of enjambment.
Short sentences, except for fifth and twelfth.
Alliteration of ‘b’ sound in “bumps,” “boils,” “blood,” “burrow,” “blood…body,” and
“breathes…breath.”
Some high language in “Take pity,” “Let it be thus,” “May all that breathes…all that drinks,” and “rejoice.” Capitalization of “You.”
“crooked” has its own line.
Internal rhymes of “bumps” and “hump”
Assonance in “Turn” and “vermin”

No comments:

Post a Comment