Thursday, April 28, 2011

Week #15—Calisthenic

From p. 107-8 of Writing Poetry

Object: Tennis Racquet

3 Adjectives:  oblong, high-strung, unwieldy
3 Appositives: designed by Babolat, purchased at the pro shop, tested by the tennis pro
3 Acts:  execute a harder serve, extend a player’s reach for the ball, prevent muscle strain
3 Memories:  once I hit my knee on the follow-through of a serve and cringed; I threw it toward a ball I could not reach; it crashed into my partner’s racquet as we went for the same volley.
3 Declarations: it is necessary for participation in a great sport; it is useful for picking up balls without bending over; it is dangerous in the hands of a two-year old.

High-strung, unwieldy, designed by Babolat
to extend a player’s reach for the ball
Once, I threw it toward a ball I could not reach
If I could, I’d crash into my partner’s racquet
as we tried to hit the same volley
It is dangerous in the hands of a two-year old.

Strung tight and unwieldy
my Babolat soared toward the ball
hitting my partner’s racquet as she
launched for the same volley.
We crashed into each other
like two two year olds gauging a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment